Hello,
I suggest you to read this tutorial: http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Autostart

Personally, I am using an item in the awesome menu so that it starts
all the things I usually want ( pidgin, skype, wicd-gtk,
gnome-session-manager...).
Previously I was simply calling awful.util.spawn_with_shell("program")
in the main script (it's described as the "simple way" in the awesome
page).

In your case: Simply add awful.util.spawn_with_shell("yakuake") to
~/.config/awesome/rc.lua
Note that if you don't have that file you must copy the default one
which comes with awesome package.

Feel free to ask me if you are having issues :)