Von: Jerrod Frost <darks...@sabayonlinux.org>
Gesendet: 15. Juni 2018 05:39:37 MESZ
An: sabayon-dev <devel@lists.sabayon.org>
Betreff: [sabayon-dev] ISO Testing Results

###COMMON ISSUES###

Calamares - Encryption is broken. Could we go with FDE and decrypt via
GRUB2? It seems to be using GRUB to decrypt, but upon booting asks for
password to mount /dev/mapper/luks-XXXXX which doesn't exist?

Still using GRUB 2.02 BETA3. Is there a reason we have not moved to 2.02
stable?

Donate to Sabayon -> Page missing Patreon/librepay ?

minetest - only the engine is installed, not the game. need to install
package minetest_game

First set of updates pull in KDE packages for non-KDE spins? This one I
don't quite understand.

###WISH LIST ITEMS###

4.17 kernel not in Repository; I'd like to personally make an unsupported
spin like the forensics edition, but for ryzen APU users as 4.17 is a
requirement.

Unified Icons? Can we come up with a set of icons that are the same for
every spin?

Unified LightDM with Slick Greeter? Keeping the same DM across the spins.

/etc/lightdm/slick-greeter.conf
[Greeter]
background=/usr/share/backgrounds/sabayonlinux.png
theme-name=Adwaita
icon-them-name=(unified icon theme?)

Preferably need Graphic Designer with better skills than myself for new
Wallpaper and Calamares design. I like my wallpaper, but it looks bad on
4:3 monitors which never occurred to me. Probably should have made
something that could fit all ranges from Mobile to desktop ratios. Also
probably color schemes that are similar across all spins. Not really a
requirement right now, just a wishlist item :)

I'm sure I'll get some feedback over this, but have we ever thought of
catering to the simplifying server/service administration for the ease of
use for our userbase?
http://dalalven.dtdns.net/linux/gadmintools-webpage/
I know its not the most puritan, or the best way to control services,
but I can see people liking this and this giving us some wins.

MATE Screensaver seems barren. Screensavers are terrible. Import
xscreensavers? requires xscreensaver installed and custom .desktop files
pointing to xscreensaver files, but possible. e.g.
/usr/share/applications/screensavers/hextstrut.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=hexstrut
Exec=/usr/lib64/misc/xscreensaver/hexstrut -root
TryExec=/usr/lib64/misc/xscreensaver/hexstrut
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Screensaver;
OnlyShowIn=MATE;

Then they show up natively in the MATE screensaver control panel.

###XFCE ISSUES###

Chrome still set as default browser, but Chrome isn't installed? Firefox
appears to be new default. .desktop file needs tweaked to point to firefox
instead.

###MATE ISSUES###

VLC AND MPV? Are we OK with having both or does that seem bloated?

###GNOME ISSUES###

VLC, Totem, and MPV?  Too many or OK? Bloated or fine?

GDM depends on brltty and should NOT. (if we don't ditch GDM)
brltty is known to hijack USB to Serial adapters. Anyone performing work on
networking gear requiring the ability to console in will find they cannot
because brltty hijacks the device. uninstalling brltty also removes GDM
which leaves you without a display manager. Just need to break off the
dependency.

Gnome is going to have some trouble with screen locking and screensavers
after switching from GDM to LightDM.  Gnome apparently uses GDM also for
screen locking. xscreensaver still works, just need to add xscreensaver to
autostart by default /etc/xdg/autostart/xscreensaver.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Screensaver
Comment=Launch screensaver and locker program
Icon=preferences-desktop-screensaver
Exec=xscreensaver
TryExec=xscreensaver

also edit ~/.config/dconf/user database in /etc/skel to make super+L
trigger xscreenlocker-command -lock to lock the screen.

edit skel file for ~/.xscreensaver
captureStderr:  True should be "False" to avoid random complaints of
missing fonts.

###KDE ISSUES###

Works well! No real issues found other than the common ones that are the
same in other spins. Screen locker will still work without SDDM so if we
switch to lightdm w/slick-greeter we don't need a screen locker
replacement. Kudos!