17.07.2013 22:12, Martin Kolman wrote:
> The pyside-qtmobility build[1] I have in home:MartinK:nemo project
> or Mer OBS worked last time I've tried it.

Thanks. Importing QtMobility at a Python prompt works.

What I was planning on doing first was trying out QGraphicsGeoMap. The
(unnecessarily complicated) example [1] I found segfaults already at the
QtMobility imports. Being a Python programmer, investigating import-time
segfaults isn't really my thing.

[1]
http://qt.gitorious.org/pyside/pyside-examples/blobs/master/mobility/location/mapviewer.py

> Jolla announced a few days ago that the first Sailfish running device
> will be running Wayland and Qt5 only[3][4], dropping X11 and with it
> Qt4 support. This is unfortunately quite an issue for Python
> application development, as there are currently no Python bindings
> supporting Qt5 & QtQuick 1.0 or 2.0[5].

> Hopefully, the situation might improve on PyQt get's QtQuick 2.0
> support (no timeline for that just yet though), but PyQt packaging
> and PySide -> PyQt conversion would still be needed. Also in contrast
> to the LGPL PySide, PyQt is GPL only, which might be an issue to some
> developers.

> In comparison, while there has been some recent activity in the
> PySide project, it has been so far limited to bugfixing and work on
> Qt5 support has not yet been started.

Not being familiar with Qt, I thought (or hoped) Nokia's weight had
already resolved the Python binding problem and that PySide was somewhat
an official and maintained part of Qt. I guess I was wrong. A useless
battle continues.

I guess I better hold off on writing any Python code. In addition to
what you mention, I suppose there's a switch to Python 3 around the
corner (or at least should be by now).

--
Osmo Salomaa <otsal...@iki.fi>