Hello,

Yes, it's exactly like Lucien wrote. QtC in SailfishOS SDK assumes there is a
VBox named 'MerSDK' and uses VBox control APIs to run start/stop an monitor it.
'MerSDK' VBox does not exist, you cannot build and deploy from QtCreator.

HOWEVER

if you want to experiment stuff on your own you need to unzip relevant parts of
the target rootfs to ~/SailfishOS/mersdk/targets/<target> and QtCreator should
give you the needed autocompletion. In this scenario you don't necessarily need
a VM at all (in Linux) but all compilation & deployment steps you need to do
manually on command line. I know some people run SDK like that but it's totally
on the wild frontier - good luck and please take time to document the steps.

thanks, Jarko