Hello list,

Following what has been decided during today's Sailfish OSS meeting, I would
like to open a first discussion about internal API to be provided for
developers to take advantages of all the capabilities of Sailfish OS.

One of the specific capabilities of Sailfish OS is the ambience system. It's a
profile system that is extended to changing the whole phone (currently
wallpaper + sounds).

Accessing this feature is currently done via a QML module (Sailfish.Ambience),
that is only usable from privileged applications. It can also be accessed via
an userspace daemon, *ambienced*, that provides a DBus API accessible through
com.jolla.ambienced.

This API is quite limited as it only allows setting an ambience from an image.

I can understand that allowing the QML module to be used might cause problems,
either with API breakage, or with security, since the Ambience db is privileged
for a reason. In the other hand, the DBus API is safer: an API change will only
trigger a runtime error, and the API can be made to only leak minimal data for
the developer. That's why I'm asking to extend this API to allow developers to
take advantage of Ambiences.

I would like to discuss with you about the API the developers want to see for
Ambience, and what sailors can provide. What I expect personally as a basis
would be
- Setting an ambience (already existing)
- Getting the list of favourited ambiences (name + image path)

Some more advanced API can be welcomed too
- Getting a favourited ambience highlight colors
- Favouriting / unfavouriting an ambience

TJC post is here:
https://together.jolla.com/question/51602/api-discussion-ambience-dbus-api/
It is a wiki and will be used to log the final APIs when a concensus has been
reached, to have a basic documentation for devs, and a todolist for sailors.

Feel free to elaborate on this topic, propose more APIs or detail those I
proposed (the best would be to provide a DBus introspect XML file). You are
also free to post a new thread on ML about other APIs you want to see from
Jolla.

Regards,
Lucien

PS: link for today's meeting minutes: