I only have one phone connected to the i.p. network via USB, so I don't have to worry about i.p. address clashes between phones; I only have to be concerned that the i.p. address chosen by default for the Jolla phone clashes with another on my network. All my addresses are set up statically and none are using the 192.168.2.15 address, so in theory there should not be a problem, unless under the hood there are some address clashes I am not aware of. Since the phone allows me to change its ip address, I could try setting it to 192.168.2.99, for example. Or I could change my development PCs, including the Ubuntu box used for Sailfish, to be on, say, 192.168.7.x, or I could try i.p addresses greater than 192.168.2.24. I suppose trial and error is the best strategy, starting with the easier-to-make changes,

Regards,

Sahlan

------ Original Message ------
From: "deloptes" <delop...@gmail.com>
To: devel@lists.sailfishos.org
Sent: 24/07/2019 09:32:43
Subject: Re: [SailfishDevel] Question about connecting a Sailfish phone to Ubuntu Linux box

Sahlan wrote:

 Eli,

 I take the point that in this situation all bets are off, so it looks
 like I'll have to change the i.p. addresses on my network of development
 machines and development VMs. An inconvenience, but at least it's only a
 one-off change,

Is it not  easier to change the IP on the Sailfish phone instead of changing
the addresses on the dev network and/or plug a stupid USB cable?
Do you have an idea how networking works? I have the impression you are
missing some fundamentals like routing for example.

You can not have two gateways in the same work. Therefore set the USB IP to
something else. I give you an example of my use case.
I have one Xperia X for work and one for testing. If both are configured to
use 192.168.2.0/24 (IP .15 and .16 for example) the USB driver is confused.
I can use whichever phone I can plugin first.
But if I setup same IP on different network for example 192.168.2.15 and
192.168.3.15 all is working fine.
This is because the USB driver would provide the GW for each network.

regards