I have come to think the best thing to do about the GPSD/JSON driver is
just remove it.  This note explains why.  Please reply with agreement,
disagreement, or comment.

One brute fact is that this driver works poorly, if at all.  See these
tracker issues:

https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/issues/58
https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/issues/57
https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/issues/55

That last one, 55, is particularly bad.  57 has been reported as a bug
in Classic and never fixed.

Because it works so badly, it is highly unlikely that anyone will
complain of its absence.

There might be an argument for fixing this driver rather than
dropping it, but I don't see that it actually does anything useful.

For communication with GPSD, the SHM driver seems superior; it
certainly has lower processing overhead and therefore introduces
less noise into the delivery chain.

I understand there's a port problem with SHM on the Mac, but I'd
rather fix that or write an equivalent driver using new POSIX
shared memory than chase bugs in this one.

Comments?  Objections?  Support?

It will be of little avail to the people, that the laws are made by
men of their own choice, if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot
be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood; if they be
repealed or revised before they are promulgated, or undergo such
incessant changes that no man, who knows what the law is to-day, can
guess what it will be to-morrow. Law is defined to be a rule of
action; but how can that be a rule, which is little known, and less
fixed?  -- James Madison, Federalist Papers 62