On 12/10/2017 04:26 PM, Ian Bruene wrote:
On 12/10/2017 10:52 AM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Do you understand the problem well enough that you could specify an upstream
fix?
I'm not yet certain whether python or the distributions have jurisdiction here. Earlier comments from rlaager suggest that it is the distributions. Working on getting an error specification...

After reviewing the bits of data among the arguments again, yes, python paths are controlled by the distribution.

Breakage I know of well enough to specify:

* Fedora does not have /usr/local/ in its path

* Ubuntu 17.04 (mine) does not include /usr/local/lib/python3 is its path. Unfortunately python tells it to install there, instead of python3.5 / 3.6 / etc

So how does this work? Just hunt down each distribution that has a path problem and file a bug report?

--
/"In the end; what separates a Man, from a Slave? Money? Power? No. A Man Chooses, a Slave Obeys."/ -- Andrew Ryan

/"Utopia cannot precede the Utopian. It will exist the moment we are fit to occupy it."/ -- Sophia Lamb