Yo Hal!

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 11:53:04 -0800
Hal Murray <hmur...@megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> >> Yes, please.  I see no reason why ntpd should start up as root
> >> these days.
>
> > It needs to be able to read /dev/pps*, SHM(0) and SHM(1)
>
> You don't need root for /dev/whatever if you set the owner to ntp:ntp
> before starting ntpd.

Which of course, you have to every time you reboot.  And since most
people now use udevd, it needs a rule change.

And does that work for SHM(0) and SHM(1)

> Linux has split the root-does-everything permissions to various
> separate flags.  See man 7 capabilities for the list and details.
> cap_ipc_lock covers SHM

Doesn't ntpd need to be started as root to set that?

> The idea is to set the capabilities that you need on ntpd and switch
> to ntp:ntp before starting it.

But how does ntpd set its caps before it starts?

> One more tweak that I missed on my previous message:
>   If you use -p <pid file name> on the command line, you need to be
> able to write that file.
> I fixed that with a touch and chown.

Where?  In ntpd, or on the command line?  If on the command line, how
is the newbie supposed to know?

RGDS
GARY
        g...@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588