From: Hal Murray<halmur...@sonic.net>
To:devel@ntpsec.org
Subject: Testing

Does anybody test our code on Apple?  Solaris?
In order to test 32 bit and 64 bit big and little endian hosts with the Trimble driver, I have been using:
LE32: Raspberry Pi 3B with Raspbian
LE64: Xeon with Gentoo
BE32: Power Mac G4 with FreeBSD
BE64: Sun Ultra 5 with v9os

I also did some testing on a Power Mac G5 with 10.5 using MacPorts and its patches, but I lost interest when I found that MacOS doesn't have ntp_adjtime.  I tried 14.2 on a Mac Pro 5,1 and there is still no ntp_adjtime support so the performance is poor. Both versions seem to lack a PPS line discipline. Very few serial port expansion cards are usable.

Previously I was testing the driver with Solaris 11.3 on a T5220, but I wanted to stay current when 11.3 "premier support" was discontinued so I set up 11.4 CBE on a T4-1. It was working, but the machine is so loud and power-hungry that I switched to a Sun Ultra 5. I couldn't get a build environment set up with Solaris Express (which was the last version that was compatible with the Ultra 5) so I had to move on to the OpenSolaris forks. The only one that I could get a SPARC build environment working with was v9os.  Neither v9os or 11.4 support MOD_NANO, so the performance isn't that great. For 11.4 with Solaris Studio, I had to make a change to V4_SIZEOF_RESTRICT_U  and V6_SIZEOF_RESTRICT_U to use the ALIGNED_SIZE macro because I was getting unaligned access errors when accessing the restrict list (a member of restrict_u in ntp.h was changed sometime after the 1.2.2 release).

I have added support for the Acutime 360 on my fork, but I need to finish up testing and clean up the documentation before I make a merge request. With the recent mention of a possible leap second deletion I may want to do a new set of tests with a simulator, but it will take a while before I can get to it. Some of the Trimble receivers have no direct indication of the leap second direction, so it could be exciting -- it might be best to remove leap notification support for those.