On 05/30/2014 01:07 PM, Einav Cohen wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tomas Jelinek" <tjeli...@redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2014 8:17:27 AM

Hey all,

in the instance type feature [1] there are two parts, the "instance types"
(HW part of the machine) and the "something not sure how to call" (which is
basically a disk image with some SW related metadata like OS type). It is
inspired by the Amazon's "Instance Type" + "AMI".

Currently, the handling of the HW part is merged upstream (some small parts
missing but mostly there) but the software part is not. I'd like to start
implementing it and wanted to ask the community how to call it. Normally it
would be called "image", but since we already have images in oVirt it would
be confusing.

I see this options how to call it, please feel free to comment on them, vote
for some or propose a new name (please keep in mind that the HW part is
called "Instance Type").

- Instance Image
- Software Profile
- OMI (oVirt Machine Image)

IMO, any of the three above will do.

- System Image

this is too confusing - we already have 'System' in the application (e.g. the
'System' tree, 'System' permissions, etc.) and we already have 'Image' in the
application (in multiple places, actually, which is confusing already).
Introducing a new 'System Image' type that has nothing to do with the existing
'System' or with the existing 'Image' is very confusing.

- ITI (Instance Type Image)

this is confusing as well since it might be considered part / sub-type of the
Instance Types business entity, which is wrong.

And why not image?

Thank you,
Tomas

[1]: http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Instance_Types