----- Original Message -----

I agree with the sentiment, but I think your solution would be
counter-productive.

The main question here is what's the purpose of the stable branch?
The way I understand it, the stable branch is a branch for you to build the
system from, assert that the main functionality is working, and report bugs
that need fixing before release.

With the current "stable" branch, that's a losing effort. It's broken twelve
ways from Sunday. Basic functionality does not work. Virtually every patch that
fixes something in the master should also be applied to it, which in fact means
we're manually rebasing, instead of letting git do it for us.

This does not mean, however, that we shouldn't take time an retrospect how we
got to this abysmal situation, and thinking of ways to prevent it in the future
- it just means we should look forward instead of punishing ourselves for past
transgressions.