----- Original Message -----

To explain a bit about REST integration for UI plugins: right upon each
successful WebAdmin GUI login, WebAdmin's UI plugin infra will acquire
new REST session and pass the REST session ID to all UI plugins through
"RestApiSessionAcquired" callback [1].

[1] http://www.ovirt.org/Features/UIPlugins#REST_API_integration

Any UI plugin can register "RestApiSessionAcquired" callback handler
and be notified of REST session ID. Typically, UI plugin itself can
talk with Engine REST API. I assume this covers the majority of all
UI plugins utilizing the "RestApiSessionAcquired" callback. These
plugins do NOT need to be modified at all.

However, passing this (UI plugin & WebAdmin GUI user specific) REST
session ID to any 3rd party is generally discouraged since as of 3.5
the REST session won't be usable after WebAdmin GUI user logs out [2].
When GUI user logs in again, new REST session ID will be passed to UI
plugins.

[2] http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/35185/

> > Will they need to change anything or is this change more a behaviour change
> > only?
>
> for the plugins that I mentioned above: assuming these plugins would like
> retain their functionality and have their server-side perform communication
> with the engine's rest-api regardless of the current status of the client's
> browser/web-admin (active/logged-in/logged-out/...), they will need to change
> their code to obtain their own rest-api-session (to be used by the server-
> side), rather than rely on the rest-api-session that was obtained by the ui-
> plugins infrastructure for them; the latter should be used *only* for the
> plugin's *client*-side communication with the engine's rest-api.

Yes. In other words, REST session ID obtained via "RestApiSessionAcquired"
callback is scoped to current WebAdmin GUI user. Any 3rd party (outside of
UI plugin context) should manage its "own" REST session.