On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 12:19 PM Rob Linden <rlin...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello!
> I'm not sure if it's _possible_ to install oVirt on Ubuntu, but it isn't
> supported:

There were efforts, several years ago, on porting oVirt to
Debian/Ubuntu. I do not think this ever matured enough for general
use. See also e.g. these, and note that they are all old and
unmaintained:

https://www.ovirt.org/develop/developer-guide/ubuntu.html

https://www.ovirt.org/develop/developer-guide/vdsm/on-debian.html

https://www.ovirt.org/develop/developer-guide/vdsm/on-ubuntu.html

> https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/installing_ovirt_as_a_self-hosted_engine_using_the_command_line/#operating-system-requirements_SHE_cli_deploy
> There are older tutorials that claim it works, like
> https://blog.eldernode.com/install-and-configure-ovirt-on-ubuntu-20-04/

From quick skimming, it seems like the above post describes how to
install an Ubuntu _VM_ inside an existing oVirt setup (which itself
does not run on Ubuntu - or at least, the post does not discuss that).

> I have not tried that.
> What You could do (and which is what I do, although not on Ubuntu) is to run
> a virtual machine with qemu/KVM and on that VM You'd install CentOS Stream
> and there You can install and run oVirt. I think that might be easier and/or
> more reliable (because it's tested better) than getting oVirt to run directly
> on Ubuntu.

That's currently the best option for learning/playing/testing.

Good luck and best regards,
--
Didi