Hi Martine,

>... Except you mean the routing protocol by this.
yes, the `prot_id` is the actual used (running) protocol, i.e. RPL.
This identifier must be unique for the running RIOT on the node, i.e. arbitrary but fixed for the lifetime.

The "binding" of FIB table entries to a specific (running) protocol is necessary only for updates on them.

Probably `kernel_pid_t` for the would be a waste of one byte for each FIB table entry.
I will keep it `uint8_t` for now, but test a bit with `kernel_pid_t`.

Best regards,
Martin

On 15.11.2014 02:03, Martine Lenders wrote:
Hi Martin,

    Hi Martine,

    I will change the interface and protocol IDs to `kernel_type_t` as
    you suggested.
    For the FIB handling perspective this seems also to be the best
    (and easiest) way to have the IDs unique on one RIOT/node.

For protocol IDs I suggest `netdev_proto_t` [1]. Except you mean the routing protocol by this. It aims, at least regarding my design, to be the RIOT-global identifier for all network protocol RIOT supports.

Cheers,
Martine

[1] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/blob/038beb0f99215207c09fd862ac7712982cedb3ef/drivers/include/netdev/base.h#L57