Hi Matthias,

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 11:47 PM, Matthias Waehlisch <
m.waehli...@fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hi Kaspar,
>
>   sorry for the silence!
>
>   As you pointed out in your email, there are scenarios where the
> approach will not help due to technical reasons (and using a weird
> compiler might have technical reasons as well). You may consider these
> as irrelevant. But there is one aspect for sure in the IoT, the IoT is
> much more heterogenous compared to the current Internet. This is a
> crucial difference making the approach less suitable compared to
> developing for Linux, for example.
>
>   For me the sentence "RIOT allows LGPL + proprietary source code at the
> same level of comfort compared to Linux" sounds like a cheap marketing
> slogan making clear that the persons are not aware of the IoT diversity.

Linux runs on a wide variety of 32bit and 64bit hardware. RIOT aims to do
the same on other (smaller) hardware, for a wide variety of 32bit, 16bit
(and to some extent 8bit) platforms.

At first sight, I don't see a huge difference here in terms of
heterogeneity. How would you quantify/qualify this difference?

Best

Emmanuel