Hi Oleg,

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015, Oleg Hahm wrote:

> >   I thought that we already decided to exclude exotic licenses.
>
> Yes. GPL + Linker Exception is not exotic.

  but the name (or license branding). We had this discussion before.
Rather unknown licenses need to be explained. Using eCos license is
similar to use a RIOT license.

> >   With respect to this specific license:
> >
> >   (1) We cannot use the license because the license text is specific to
> > eCos (e.g., "eCos is distributed [...]").
>
> And original BSD license
> (http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/License:BSD_4Clause) is specific to
> "Computer Systems Engineering group at Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory",
> which is obviously no blocker to be adopted elsewhere. I don't see why
> replacing the name of the project should invalidate a license.

  Misunderstanding.

  I'm just wondering if eCos is the first license with the introduced
exception -- I will not research on this ;).

> >   (2) We should not use the license because it is not approved by the
> > Open Source Initiative. OSI approval is important for some open source
> > funding programmes etc.
>
> Seems to work quite successfully for eCos, ERIKA [1], GNU Guile [2],
> libgcc [3], NetBeans [4], ChibiOS [5] and several other bigger
> projects. Would be interesting what FSF says about it.

  I never said it's impossible. In this type of discussion you will
always find counterexamples. I just wanted to point out that I see it as
an advantage to use an OSI approved license.

> At least eCos, ERIKA and ChibiOS are very similar to RIOT from a
> software architecture point of view (OS for embedded hardware).

  No comment ;).

> >   If you want to spend more time on this, I recommend the thread
> > http://projects.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review/2014-August/000853.html,
> >
> > in particular
> > http://projects.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review/2014-September/000910.html.
>
> I haven't found any clear answers in these two mails and don't want to
> spend the rest of the evening reading through another license
> discussion, I have enough with this one here. From what I've read, I
> gather that oSI doesn't want to approve it, because there's no need to
> approve it: "why not simply stop referring to 'the eCos License 2.0'
> as though it were a special license and instead characterize eCos as
> being licensed as 'GPLv2 or later' with a permissive exception? I've
> encountered other projects using similarly-worded GPL exceptions but
> to my recollection those projects characterize themselves as being
> GPL-licensed."
>
> Long story short: I see your concerns, but for me GPL + Linking
> Exception is a common license model that works well for many
> well-known and mature projects. Personally, I would think that GPL +
> Linking Exception matches our needs far better than LGPL.

  Can you explain in one our two sentences why? Because it's more
inclusive?

> As I see it now, we won't come to any conclusion for or against
> switching to a non-copyleft license that satisfies everyone, because
> the goals and visions where to go with RIOT are too different.

  At least we don't get new basic insights with this thread.

Cheers
  matthias

--
Matthias Waehlisch
.  Freie Universitaet Berlin, Inst. fuer Informatik, AG CST