Hello David,

> Hello Ludwig,
>
> Lately, I've been putting a lot of time into the ESP8266 wifi modules, and
> learning how to get them to work.
>
> How is the unified network driver system going?
>
> Here's my conclusion on the ESP8266. If Riot has a unified network driver
> system, it might be worth looking at trying to integrate these modules with
> riot.

We currently don't have an example for an embedded stack, but I guess the
ESP8266 would be great to supply such an example. Since the ESP8266
supplies, as far as I understand it, everything up to tcp and udp, I would
propose not to write a netdev driver for it, but writing a netapi threads
directly, one for TCP and one for UDP, so our future new socket API speaks
directly to it. If you need some inspiration how to implement a transport
layer thread have a look at Hauke's prelimanary UDP implementation [1].

> The trick with the ESP8266 modules seems to be to use the LUA firmware.
> And use some simple serial bridging code from Riot to then talk to the
> modules.

If there are no timing issues over speaking to the devices registers over
e.g. SPI directly (if it is possible this way at all), we can try that, but
in general I would prefer the solution that yields the better performance.

> Let me know if this is an interesting option?

Since it would show the flexibility of our new network stack this chip
would be a great option! :-)

Regards,
Martine