Hi Jonas,

On 20.03.2015 18:02, Jonas Remmert wrote:

1. Both, the upper layer and the current implementations of the ng_netdev radio drivers use task messages to signalize an event (Packet to be sent or Packet to receive waiting). Both message mechanisms send their messages to the mac_pid and therefore use the same message queue. If the mac-layer and the transceiver is busy with sending a message out or waiting for an ACK it might wait for a signal from the driver (RX-ready, ACK-received...). In the same time there might also be messages from the upper layers that can not be handled until the previous packet is sent out.

- I handled this problem in using the drivers call-back function in combination with different task lock mechanisms for upper layer (msg_receive) and for driver events 2x(mutex_lock), which causes in TASK_BLOCKED state. That method worked very well, even if I fired the mac-layer continously with upper layer messages.
Though this probably works fine, this is not quite how the concept was meant. The problem is of course there: when the MAC layer is getting spammed by upper layer messages, the reaction time for device driver messages might be not as fast... Though the messages should not be los (as they are queued...). The concept is based on the assumption, that the time needed for handling incoming messages in the MAC layer is very short. Also so far we basically assumed, that the MAC layer has a higher priority then the upper layers. This way, the MAC layer will always finish processing all it's queued messages before the upper layers get scheduled again.

2. The drivers send function builds the IEEE 802.15.4 MAC header on its own. The alternative would be to let the MAC layer do this job. This would avoid code duplication and make it easier to implement new radio drivers. Is there any reason to do this in the driver implementation?
I don't really understand the code duplication issue here... The MAC layer should actually not know anything about the radio frame format or the like, as the idea behing the MAC layer in the current form is to make them interchangable and usable with different network devices (not only 802.15.4 devices)... So to answer your question: yes!

3. Introduction of PHY dependant constants: The constants (e.g. SYMBOL_LENGTH used in backoff intervall, MAX_BE, MIN_BE, TURNAROUND_TIME, MAC_ACK_WAIT_DURATION, MAX_RETRIES..). As these constants are different for each type of PHY (2,5 Ghz, subGhz and also Modulation specific) we could put them in a struct that would be linked to the device descriptor.
Actually, these constants should not be constants :-) The way I would implement them is by naming these defines something like xx_DEFAULT_MAX_BE, xx_DEFAULT_TURNAROUND_TIME, etc. The you include fields in your device descriptor for these values and initialize them with these values. This way you can change them during runtime and define different values if you run more then 1 device concurrently...

4. Generally, a successfull TX of a packet is not signalized to upper layers. But how do we handle a packet that could not be sent to the channel (e.g. channel busy)? Should upper layer be informed about the failure?
So far the packets are just silently dropped. The plain netapi_send() does not support feedback to upper layers on the success of the send process - this we did to avoid deadlock scenarios and synchronization issues...

Cheers,
Hauke

A WIP state of the ng_kw2xrf-driver that I used for testing can be found in my repo [2].

a nice Weekend,
Jonas

[1] - https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/2467
[2] - https://github.com/jremmert-phytec-iot/RIOT/tree/wip%40kw2xrf_ng