On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 01:13:50AM +0100, Hauke Petersen wrote:
> On 19.11.2015 20:09, Patrick Rota - Swissponic Sagl wrote:
> >4) License: RIOT is published with a LGPLv2 license and if we understand
> >well, we can then use it in our product without any limitation. Is this
> >right?
> 'Without limitations' might give the wrong impression. In general the
> situation is quite easy: if you change any of the existing code (e.g. you
> fix bugs), you have to make those changes available to the community (e.g.
> commit them into RIOT's master branch). But you are perfectly fine in
> linking RIOT together with your disclosed, proprietary application code.

Whether or not that was the intention when choosing the LGPLv2, I can't
say, but that LGPLv2 is actually is significantly different from this
description.  Patrick is not required to contribute back to RIOT master
branch, he is, however, required to:

a.) very clearly indicate to customers who received his product that it
uses RIOT.
b.) accompany the product with source code to RIOT as well as either HIS
source code *OR* object files such that a customer can modify RIOT and
link it back to his executable to generate a new binary.
c.) note that some of (b) would be unnecessary if using a binary loader of some
sort or shared libraries such that an end user could update RIOT
independently of Patrick's application.

A lot of this is covered in section 6 of the LGPLv2.

I think it would be a very good idea to consult a lawyer in any case as
you will be held to the text of the LGPLv2 not any summary included here.

Cheers,
Andy