Hi Oleg, Ludwig,

On 08.03.2017 10:30, Oleg Hahm wrote:
Hi Ludwig!

On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 10:28:13AM +0100, Ludwig Knüpfer wrote:
Am 8. März 2017 10:21:15 MEZ schrieb Oleg Hahm <oliver.h...@inria.fr>:
Is testing and simulation the only use case you can imagine? I'm somewhat
reluctant to add code just for non-production purposes.

Since we outspokenly target researchers with RIOT this is a production feature.

However we might want to move this feature into a dedicated implementation
of the same interface.

Thanks, that was more or less what I meant.

I'm not sure whether we 'over-complicate' the issue.

There are good PRNGs with state space of one (or very few) int, call it seed. So if this function is called as 'rand(seed)', rand can be stateless ... and seed is allocated memory of the application. Seeds could be initially generated by 'random_init(seed)'.

At the same time, one can overload with a stateful 'rand()' which is auto-initialized and convenient ... and for those who don't care for more control. IMO, this would not need a 'random_init()' user call.

Cheers,
 Thomas

Btw: David Jones (UCL Bioinformatics) writes "Rule #1: Do not use system generators. ... Almost all of these generators are badly flawed. Even when they are not, there is no guarantee that they were not flawed in earlier releases of the library."

--

Prof. Dr. Thomas C. Schmidt
° Hamburg University of Applied Sciences                   Berliner Tor 7 °