On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Gedare Bloom <ged...@rtems.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 9:15 AM, Amaan Cheval <amaan.che...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > That's definitely very illuminating, thank you so much for all the
> details!
> >
> > A few more questions that have arisen for me. Feel free to skip over
> > them (I'll likely figure them out given enough time, so I'm only
> > asking in case any of them are obvious to anyone):
> >
> > - The i386 doesn't use CPU_Interrupt_frame at all. It seems like it
> > stores some of the data onto the stack?
> >
> the interrupt frame structure was introduced during 4.11 development.
> probably i386 never got updated to use a struct to encapsulate the
> interrupt frame. the interrupt frame should contain the registers that
> are preserved by the interrupt entry code I believe.

+1

Historically, there was no structure to represent the set of
registers and information saved on interrupt entry. Over time
this has been added.

i386  also is missing the SMP synchronization check in the
middle of the context which ensures it is safe for a thread to
be migrated.

> > - There used to be defines in cpu.h regarding hardware/software based
> > interrupt stacks, and how they'd be setup, which were made
> > superfluous[1] - I'm not quite sure how these are meant to work - I
> > see references to "stack high" and "stack low" and I'm not quite sure
> > what the code is referencing when using those.
> >

> a hardware interrupt stack is one that the hardware switches to during
> an interrupt. i think m68k has such.
>
> most interrupt stacks in RTEMS are software-managed, meaning that
> RTEMS explicitly switches the stack region off the task stack and to
> an interrupt stack region.
>
> some stacks start high and grow down, and some stacks start low and
> grow up. maybe this is what the "stack high" and "stack low" you
> mention are in relation to?

They are used to denote the top and bottom of the memory reserved
for the interrupt stack. One important use is in
cpukit/libmisc/stackchk/check.c
to report on usage.

> > - c/src/lib/libbsp/no_cpu/no_bsp/Makefile.am doesn't include
> > irq-sources.am, by the way (this is part of why I used to think a lot
> > of what your email mentioned was unnecessary, until you...ahem,
> > pre-empted that line of thought and helped clarify it :P). Should I
> > add a ticket to update the no_bsp code to be more in line with current
> > use?
> >
> Sure. I don't know that anyone is in particular maintaining
> no_cpu/no_bsp since we can't compile it, it is basically best effort
> stuff that sometimes we miss updating.

+1

Also there are variations based on simple vectored and PIC vectored
architectures.

The architecture is responsible for the managing the minimal actions
based on what the CPU does for an interrupt/exception. Logically
a PIC is part of the BSP even if it comes integrated with the CPU as
is common on x86 and SoCs. The PIC could fairly easily change
and the architecture is harder to change.

> > - My understanding of _ISR_Handler is that it'll be the handler for
> > _all_ interrupt vectors by default - it'll then dispatch interrupts to
> > user-handlers (or internal handlers, for the timer, for eg.). Is that
> > right? (I don't quite understand its interaction with the RTEMS
> > interrupt manager yet, but irq-generic's "bsp_interrupt_handler_table"
> > seems to be the RTEMS equivalent to the processor-specific vector
> > table, and "bsp_interrupt_handler_dispatch" seems to call the actual
> > handler within that table as appropriate. Accurate? (I just haven't
> > found how that table actually gets its handlers setup besides during
> > initialization, since rtems_interrupt_catch just calls
> > _CPU_install_vector, which updates the processor vector table, not the
> > RTEMS interrupt manager vector table.)
> >

> You have discovered a couple of different but related interrupt
> processing code bases.  I can see why you get confused.
>
> Basically, a CPU port should support two kinds of interrupts that may
> be installed, "RTEMS" and "Raw" interrupts. The "Raw" interrupts are
> installed directly in the processor's vector table. For processors
> that use simple vectored interrupts, the "RTEMS" interrupts install a
> call to the _ISR_Handler() function in the processor's vector table,
> and will put the user's isr function pointer in the
> _ISR_Vector_table(), which is the RTEMS Interrupt Manager's vector
> table.
>
> I'm not really familiar with the processors that use a different model
> for interrupt handling besides simple vectored. Probably, you will
> have to study one of them.
>
> This irq-generic bsp_interrupt_* code is used by the "IRQ Server" that
> builds from the CPU port capabilities to allow for some advanced
> features like chaining multiple isrs from the same source. I don't
> think you want to be focusing on those right now, but I could be
> mistaken. I haven't spent much time looking at the IRQ Server
> codebase.

For the most part, the bsp_interrupt_* code is hung off of one
(or more) of the simple vectored sources. On many architectures,
you have very few "CPU vectors" and the bsp_interrupt_* is
the secondary layer managing the PIC. Notice that it is all
in C and thus isn't first level processing. And it doesn't deal
with RTEMS critical section, interrupt entry/exit, and dispatching..

For example, in its original form, the PowerPC didn't have many
"exceptions" (e.g. CPU vectors) at all. In fact, there was a single
External Exception which was always tied to a board dependent
PIC. The first level processing of PPC exceptions is in assembly
and deals with what I pointed you to in various _ISR_Handler's.
The External Exception handler now process bsp_interrupt_*.
The gen5200 BSP irq.c file has a bsp_interrupt_* implementation
which registers for two "exceptions" which both go to
C_dispatch_irq_handler() which reads the PIC, determines
the source(s), and dispatches (via bsp_interrupt_handler_dispatch()
the registered IRQ.

If you think of this as two levels of processing, it should help.

The two levels of processing is for RTEMS interrupts which can
unblock threads, etc. The first level ensures that locking and
dispatching is handled.

As Gedare stated, there are also Raw interrupts which ignore
RTEMS and can't use RTEMS services. These should never
be anything but the highest priority interrupt in a system. The
RTEMS first level processing can switch to a dedicated
interrupt stack and mixing RTEMS and Raw IRQs can
screw up the stack handling as well as the interrupt nesting
count.

--joel