On 03/09/2019 01:46, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 2/9/19 5:42 pm, Vijay Kumar Banerjee wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 4:34 AM Chris Johns <chr...@rtems.org
>> <mailto:chr...@rtems.org>> wrote:
>>     > +     puts("\nRTEMS I2C TEST\n");
>>     > +     exit_code = bbb_register_i2c_0();
>>     > +     assert(exit_code == 0);
>>
>>     Is this needed for the display to work?
>>
>> Yes. We need to register the rtems i2c device in order to work with the TDA
>> driver
>> as libbsd uses rtems i2c driver. The bbb_register_* is making it bbb
>> specific, what
>> do you suggest to make it more generic?
>
> Should the I2C be registered during the BSP initalisation? This would remove
> the
> need for this type of call being spread across all applications on the BBB.
> The
> BBB has a lot of resources and the I2C is part of the SoC and so always
> present.
>
> I cannot think of a way to have a sysinit entry that installs the driver when
> the I2C bus used.
>
> Chris

Hello Chris,

I would also prefer that the I2C is initialized during BSP init. But
note that this opens the same discussion we had with Joel when I
suggested the FDT support as a project: It links in the Support for
every BSP. I don't really think it hurts for a small driver like I2C on
a big target like BBB but we should make sure that everyone is OK with that.

What might could be a problem: Is there something in the initialization
that might is application specific? The still bad solution for pin
config for example? (@Vijay: Bad because it's hard coded in I2C driver
and not due to the double init.)

Best regards

Christian