On 19/11/2019 02:15, Chris Johns wrote:
On 18/11/19 6:10 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
This simplifies the build and avoids some host dependencies, e.g.
availability of symbolic links in the host file system.  Makes it
possible to validate time stamps.

Update #3818.
---
  testsuites/libtests/Makefile.am        |  41 ++++++++-------------------------
  testsuites/libtests/tar01/tar01.tar    | Bin 0 -> 10240 bytes
  testsuites/libtests/tar01/tar01.tar.gz | Bin 0 -> 296 bytes
  testsuites/libtests/tar01/tar01.tar.xz | Bin 0 -> 340 bytes
  testsuites/libtests/tar02/tar02.tar    | Bin 0 -> 10240 bytes
  create mode 100644 testsuites/libtests/tar01/tar01.tar
  create mode 100644 testsuites/libtests/tar01/tar01.tar.gz
  create mode 100644 testsuites/libtests/tar01/tar01.tar.xz
  create mode 100644 testsuites/libtests/tar02/tar02.tar

How are the tar files created?

I copied the files from my build tree to the source tree.

How do we capture what is in them and how to regenerate them?

Ok, this is an issue. You have to unpack them, change your stuff, and re-create them by hand.

At the moment I
can inspect all of this test via cgit. The idea of downloading and checking can
be problematic depending on the host and set up, ie a tablet.

Has the generation of these files been checked on more than Linux?

I doubt that anyone did run the tests using a FAT file system on the host for example.

How do we check updated host tools have not broken the code we have in RTEMS?

I would consider it a serious bug in a future host pax tool if it breaks the RTEMS code.

I am concerned we are loosing some of the checking that we currently have moving
to this approach. The symlink issue is a real one so maybe we hold a single tar
to check that works.

With the dynamic generation of the archive we cannot test the file permissions, the group and user IDs, and the time stamps.

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09