On 08/01/2020 19:31, Gedare Bloom wrote:

I agree completely on the proposed approach with Python tools.

Yes. Reading it I'm actually reminded about Google's approach toward
Python which includes many of the elements mentioned. Although their
guide is probably more comprehensive and verbose that what we need, it
might be a useful reference for developing a set of guidelines
suitable for Python code in RTEMS (mainly, rtems-tools).  Here is a
link:
http://google.github.io/styleguide/pyguide.html

I think most of the existing style has been determined and driving by
Chris Johns. So I would also give him some credit to develop/approve
how we plan to use Python at a project level. (**Hands Chris an "RTEMS
Python Maintainer" hat**);)

I think the Google guide would be a good start. We can always add project-specific exceptions/clarifications if necessary. My aim is to use it for new code, e.g. code produced for the pre-qualification activity. For the code format I strongly want to use a tool for this. I don't want to spend review time on code formatting issues.

Using standard guidelines makes the RTEMS Project more attractive for new contributors and GSoC students. I think it increases your job opportunities if you can refer to a successful GSoC project and it shows that you used standard engineering practices in the project. This is usually not something a university education includes.

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09