On 14/02/2020 16:29, Joel Sherrill wrote:

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 9:16 AM Sebastian Huber <sebastian.hu...@embedded-brains.de <mailto:sebastian.hu...@embedded-brains.de>> wrote:

    On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 7:08 AM Sebastian Huber

        On 14/02/2020 13:57, Joel Sherrill wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I haven't investigated or checked on other bsps but the
        xilinx qemu
        > bsp has no output with the hello world in examples. It uses
        the devfs.
        > Changing it to the default filesystem results in it working.
        >
        > I am suspicious of something with all the termios and new
        console
        > changes breaking it.
        The devfs works only with legacy IO drivers. The Termios
        drivers depend
        on IMFS. I would like to remove the devfs in the future. The
        IMFS is
        highly configurable, there is no need for an additional
        in-memory file
        system.

    Do not remove it. Please fix it.

    The IMFS should be improved, so that we can remove the devfs. We
    already have a bunch of configuration options to customize it:

https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/c-user/configuring_a_system.html#file-system-configuration-parameters

You should look at the requirements for the older ESA RTEMS versions. They
had very specific requirements which ended up with the filesystem code
largerly removed AFAIK.

You can get rid of the file system with the CONFIGURE_APPLICATION_DISABLE_FILESYSTEM configuration option.

And you did break existing code in the public repository. If we need more tests to ensure it works, then so be it. It is a feature in the current code base and it
just broke.

Until the IMFS can be proved to be configurable to meet the requirements that resulted in the filesystem code being removed/minimized in the old ESA  versions and other folks who needed the simplest possible infrastructure for devices so
our normal frameworks would work, it needs to stay and work.
If you want a minimal setup, then why do you want to use the POSIX open/read/write API to access devices? The POSIX functions pull in errno for example which pulls in the re-entrancy support which pulls in a hell of dependencies. Why do you want to use a console driver with Termios in a minimal setup?

You can have a goal which you may or may nor achieve but you can't leave a
trail of code that is broken just because you don't like it.
To fix this break, I suggest to map CONFIGURE_FILESYSTEM_DEVFS to a suitable IMFS configuration similar to CONFIGURE_USE_MINIIMFS_AS_BASE_FILESYSTEM.