Hello,

We have some upcoming projects which will use RTEMS and will require CAN.
RTEMS doesn't have a CAN user interface and as far as I can see there is also
no such thing in FreeBSD (please correct me if I'm wrong) which we could take
in via rtems-libbsd.
Now, our options are to just use keep everything internal and use some custom
driver (maybe based on some micro controller implementations) or contribute
some kind of CAN subsystem to RTEMS.
I find the latter option more appealing, but then the question would be if we
can use an API known from somewhere else like for spi and i2c and there doesn't
seem to be a lot of choices:
- SocketCan --> seems to be too much work to implement in RTEMS (would probably
need a socket implementation as well). I found some discussions about an
implementation for FreeBSD, but it seems to have died.
- Can4Linux: Seems to be still maintained, the header file seems to be licensed
under 3-Clause BSD. Is uses chardev, so it is probably reasonably easy to
implement similar to spidev.

Would there be any interest in having a can4linux implementation in RTEMS? Or
are there other/better available APIs?

Best regards,

    Jan

Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e. V. (DLR)
German Aerospace Center
Institute for Software Technology | Software for Space Systems and Interactive
Visualization | Lilienthalplatz 7 | 38108 Braunschweig | Germany

Jan Sommer