On 2/7/21 4:40 am, Vijay Kumar Banerjee wrote:
> I'm planning to do a throughput analysis on the RTEMS network stacks
> and I'm looking for some suggestions on the tools/applications for
> that if anyone has done something like that before.

This is a great project.

> If such application has not been used with RTEMS, then I might be
> willing to port it to RTEMS or write one from scratch as a net-demo
> maybe. Any resource/advice for that is welcome and much appreciated.

Throughput is one parameter when dealing with networking and it is important in
some applications while latency is another parameter that can be critical.
Consider a voice switch with operators using Push To Talk (PTT) buttons to
activate a radio's transmitter, an enable packet needs to be delivered within
10msec max in all cases.

I would look at removing the networking fabric from the analysis because it is
subjective and can be effected by the NIC hardware, PHY configuration plus any
externally connected equipment.

In terms of network stack performance for RTEMS you need to consider the
protocol, buffering used, size of the buffer pool, transmit and receive paths,
they will have different characteristics, and target's memory effects such as
caches. On top of this is filtering, ie packet filtering, and the types of
access.

With libbsd there are a number of sysctl settings that effect the performance.
How will you manage these?

Chris