On 22/07/2022 14:35, Sebastian Huber wrote:

On 21.07.22 16:20, Joel Sherrill wrote:

On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 12:53 AM Sebastian Huber <sebastian.hu...@embedded-brains.de <mailto:sebastian.hu...@embedded-brains.de>> wrote:

    Hello Gedare and Joel,

    On 15.07.22 10:43, Sebastian Huber wrote:
     > The uniprocessor schedulers had some special case logic for the
     > PRIORITY_PSEUDO_ISR priority.  Tasks with a priority of
    PRIORITY_PSEUDO_ISR
     > were allowed to preempt a not preemptible task.  If other higher
    priority task
     > are made ready while a PRIORITY_PSEUDO_ISR task preempts a not
    preemptible
     > task, then the other tasks run before the not preemptible task.     This made the
     > RTEMS_NO_PREEMPT mode ineffective.
     >
     > Remove the PRIORITY_PSEUDO_ISR special case logic.  This
    simplifies the
     > uniprocessor schedulers.  Move the uniprocessor-specific
    scheduler support to
     > the new header file <rtems/score/scheduleruniimpl.h>.
     >
     > Close #2365.

I'm guessing that  PRIORITY_PSEUDO_ISR wasn't used outside RTEMS itself
and likely only historically for the Timer Server Thread. The protection for that thread was reworked as part of the SMP efforts. If it is used outside RTEMS,
that would be a user facing breakage and should be documented.

If you think all the use cases of PRIORITY_PSEUDO_ISR are accounted for,
I'm ok with removing it.

The pseudo-interrupt priority is mentioned in a glossary entry:

     priority boosting
         A simple approach to extend the priority inheritance protocol for
        clustered scheduling is priority boosting.  In case a mutex is owned by a         task of another cluster, then the priority of the owner task is raised to
         an artificially high priority, the pseudo-interrupt priority.

This entry was added for the clustered scheduling documentation and needs to be changed.

I found no reference to the no-preempt break of the pseudo-interrupt priority in the documentation. I doubt that there is an application which relies on this extraordinary feature.

I updated the documentation and committed the patch.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER

Registergericht: Amtsgericht München