On 30/6/2023 4:20 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 29.06.23 02:20, Chris Johns wrote:

>>> This update has no particular reason. I just had a bit of time to run my
>>> update
>>> script. Ideally there would be an automatic update process in place. If you
>>> don't want to follow the upstream release branches, then please say so.
>>> However,
>>> this work helps to identify RTEMS related issues in the upstream
>>> development.
>>> Working tools for RTEMS need maintenance. It is not that release versions
>>> of GCC
>>> magically work on RTEMS.
>>
>> This sounds great. Would it be possible to add a simple comment in the commit
>> message this is a housekeeping update to the latest? It makes it easier
>> reviewing the commit log to understand changes of interest verses such as
>> things
>> we need or make in newlib verses housekeeping.
>
> Ok, makes sense. I added this sentence:
>
> Keep RTEMS up to date with the upstream development.

Perfect and appreciated. It is now easier to review and accept a change like
this.

>>> No, the configurations track the release branches.
>>>

>> For newlib this makes sense during development and releases because of
>> newlib's
>> long release period. It also works for binutils, gcc and gdb when we are in
>> development however I am not sure it does with releases. Should we look to
>> tarfiles for releases for the binutils, gcc and gdb tools?
>
> For RTEMS releases it makes sense to use upstream releases for the tools with
> as
> few patches as possible.

Great. How do we make the move? I am happy to update the RSB if I am given the
details or instructions. I feel you are the best person to know when so if you
think it is OK to change does it work if you create a ticket with the links to
the sources then assign it to me?

Thanks
Chris