Hello all, mostly Kent,

I read your blog post about rumpkernels on sel4:
https://research.csiro.au/tsblog/using-rump-kernels-to-run-unmodified-netbsd-drivers-on-sel4/

and after experimenting with the rumprun apps (such as the ethernet one
<https://github.com/seL4/camkes/tree/master/apps/rumprun_ethernet>) I think
it is a great addition to sel4.

So I have few questions. I need to run two different rumpkernels, each with
its own address space, connected only through dataports/events.

1- does the current rumpkernel backend support having this separation?
According to your thesis
<http://www.disy.cse.unsw.edu.au/theses_public/16/kentm.pdf>, all
rumpkernel threads run in a single sel4 thread - is that correct?

2- Right now, I can combine multiple rumprun components in one application
(lets say *runmprun_hello* and *rumprun_pthreads*). butI can have only one
rumprun_platform_layer per application, correct? An example below:

*assembly {*
* composition {*
*     component rumprun_platform_layer rrpl;*
*     component rumprun hello;*
*     RUMPRUN_META_CONNECTION(hello, rrpl)*

*     component rumprun_pthreads pthreads;*
*     RUMPRUN_META_CONNECTION(pthreads, rrpl)*
* }*

* configuration {*
*    hello.rump_config = {"cmdline": "hello World!" };*
*    RUMPRUN_COMPONENT_CONFIGURATION(hello, 0)*

*    pthreads.rump_config = {"cmdline": "./pthreads_test 4" };*
*    RUMPRUN_COMPONENT_CONFIGURATION(pthreads, 1)*
* }*
*}*

If I instantiate another *rumprun_platform* component, it wont compile.

3 - how can I go around defining/adding my own rumpkernels? Lets say I want
to build a rumpkernel with rust support
<https://github.com/rumpkernel/rumprun-packages/tree/master/rust> (you have
an sel4 example here
<https://github.com/SEL4PROJ/rumprun-sel4-demoapps/tree/master/userapps/rust>)