On 29 Nov 2023, at 17:49, chenpingyuan--- via Devel <devel@sel4.systems> wrote:

> I'm reading the code of seL4 kernel, but I got confused how seL4 could help
> to avoid priority inversion.
> seL4 itself doesn't change the priority of TCB at the kernel level, does it
> mean that seL4 leaves the user level to handle priority inversion?

Preventing priority inversion isn’t the kernel’s job, that’s a question of
design.

In general, priority inversion cannot be prevented if you have non-preemtible
critical sections, but there are approaches to limit it, specifically protocols
like PIP, OPCP, IPCP. The kernel’s job is to provide the mechanisms for
implementing your protocol.

A properly configured passive server (using the MCS configuration of seL4) will
automatically implement IPCP.

Gernot