The topic of sel4 vs QNX performance came up in the developer hangout and I
found the entire discussion perplexing for the following reasons:

 - not inconsequential, Gernot, who I presume is reasonably expert, was
strongly of the opinion it was a non-issue.
 - marginal performance gains, even if possible, are not even remotely
warranted at the cost of any security whatsoever.
 - some timing issues may be security critical and altering them could
compromise the security of the kernel.
 - hardware capacity is vastly improved in speed as of 2024 by the time
sel4 is fully productionized hardware capacity will most likely erase any
differential in speed.
 - I do not find it hard to believe that sel4 is perfectly adequate as RTOS
within its current architecture.
 - There does not seem to me to be any advantage in modifying access to the
kernel and there are plenty of disadvantages. It's all downside. The OS is
open source, so people are at liberty to modify as they please. They just
can't call it sel4.
 - To me, the moniker 'sel4' is a promise and a guarantee and that promise
cannot reasonably be kept by making special use-case exceptions.
 - QNX minimum requirements call for a greater than 1GHz processor here:
https://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/6.5.0SP1.update/com.qnx.doc.momentics_installation_guide/neutrino_hosts.html
 - Say, for the sake of argument, there is a system call scenario whereby
the kernel architecture is causing an unwarranted delay. That might be a
defect and could be addressed as such.

Finally, there is an old development rule of thumb that first you make it
work before you look to optimize.

I have been researching security since the late 1980s. I designed and wrote
the secure network access system for a Canadian bank in the early 1990s. As
it happens, I designed a security protocol twenty years ago that is in use
by the Canadian mint to secure money. Since 1992, security has been an
integral part of my ongoing research project into data packaging. Years ago
I got permission to release code using Gutmann's cryptlib and I spent a
great deal of time reviewing and learning from that code.

I don't really hold myself out as an expert WRT security. However, I have
much to say about it, and I do have some knowledge. I would not presume to
question Gernot's judgment with respect to sel4 either security or
otherwise. Gernot has expressed confidence in sel4 and that is good enough
for me.

Bob Trower
--- From Gmail webmail account. ---