Owen,

Owen Taylor wrote:
"Harold L Hunt II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

...how would you do it, in 150 words or less?

Seriously, I have been working on this for over a year and I would love to
hear some of the ideas that people have because I am completely stumped on
how to make such a clipboard manager work properly.

You really want a server extension (or you could do it in the
server, but that would prevent you from using existing client
code to retrieve the clipboard contents ... a non-trivial task.)
Ah ha! Now there is a new idea that I had not thought of yet. This could be promising.

Are you saying that I could write a server extension that only Cygwin/XFree86 uses and that such an extension would give me access to the internals that I need? Or, are you saying that there needs to be a new generic server extension that all clients need to support in order for us to play nicely with them?

See discussion from:

 https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/xdg-list/2002-November/000881.html

The extension discussed there will *not* be part of XFree86-4.3,
but is the right way of doing it and likely will make it in
at some future point.

Very interesting.  I will read up on that.

It would be nice if someone responded this time...

[ Hint, demanding a response is a really good way to discourage
  people from responding ]

Of course. You'll notice in my first message that I did not make such an observeration. I got precisely 0 responses. This time I made that observation and I have gotten 2 extremely helpful replies. Sounds like your hint doesn't hold up :) You also have to understand that over the past two years, or so, I have probably written 8 new emails to this mailing list, of which 4 or more were completely ignored. That doesn't really seem very polite to me, since I only write to this mailing list after I have spent several months searching for an answer on my own. So yeah, you could call me frustrated :)

Thanks again for your response,

Harold Hunt

Regard,s
                                        Owen