From: patrick charles [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 12:23 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: repeated X restarts with i810 not freeing sys resources?

I'm running XFree86-4.2.99.901 on a 2.4.20-2.34 kernel on a Dell GX60 with
intel extreme graphics (i810 driver).

If I repeatedly kill and restart X, the system eventually slows to a crawl
before hanging.

Here's what seems to be going on...

If I run top on the machine and observe the amount of memory in use, it
appears that each time I kill and restart X, an additional ~16MB of RAM is
consumed.
This particular system has 128MB RAM, so the system lock up seems to
correspond to the consumption of all physical RAM.
(kernel + base system + ~16MB fb x 15 restarts = ~128MB RAM).

Apparently, after many restarts, the X server eventually tries to grab a
block of RAM to serve as the video buffer, and gets a chunk of swap.
When that happens, the system is hosed, presumably because disk swap is
orders of magnitude too slow for video operations.

I'm guessing, but this seems to be what's going on. This is consistent with
the fact that I don't see any daemons or system processes consuming any
significant amounts of memory yet top eventually shows all physical RAM
consumed.
Consistent with the approximate number of restarts, and consistent with the
fact that the integrated i810 design uses system RAM for the framebuffer
contents.

Is it possible that the kernel, drm or X isn't freeing the framebuffer RAM
after each restart or kill of X?

Since my last email, I've tried a newer version of the kernel and X, and
still see the same behavior with
2.4.20-2.34 and XFree86-4.2.99.9. System is running RH8 with rawhide
binaries.

Appreciate any suggestions or comments anyone has.

thanks,
-pat