I am far from knowledgable on XFree, but for a laptop a friend of mine
wrote a calibration tool that had the same problems.
The problem was 'solved' by writing the changes in XF86Config and
restarting X.

An idea I heard here a week ago was to let the driver open a different
file (a device or a special made file for the purpose) and check if it has
been written to just like (for example) is done with the serial port.
Its ugly; but if it works, you don't hear me complaining.

When you find a good solution, please share it with us, I'm quite
interrested.

--
Thomas Zander