> I know that drivers for several dual head cards don't correctly return
> the EDID info for both displays; do the other OSes you mention get this
> right ?
Yes, they do.

> What does EDID info even mean on a laptop display - my laptop BIOS
> doesn't return  EDID info for the builting screen, but does return the
> EDID from an external monitor if connected.
In both Windows, and Mac, something IS returned , though it may not be
defined...something to the effect of "Default Monitor" is returned. My
IBM Thinkpad doesn't seem to return anything either, unless a monitor is
plugged in.

> This looks like a driver problem - does the DDC work if you
> driver this card as a single head ?

yes. When I remove the ATI Radeon 7500, the i810 correctly gets an EDID.

Ben Guthro