You could do it that way.  You might want to look at the dri project
(http://dri.sf.net) though.  That way you can get an idea of how X
talks to the kernel driver and such as well as make your driver
consistant with the rest of the open source drivers out there.  You can
also use the DRI code from another driver, perhaps the r200, as a basis
for your driver.  Also as I recall the r128 driver supported DMA based
Xvideo (overlay), so if you are looking to do that in your driver the
r128 driver would be a good starting point.

Alex