Frank Liu wrote (in a message from Monday 31)
 > I am trying to enable building shared lib for libXau, but got
 > an error:
 > gcc -o ./libXau.so.6.0~ -shared -Wl,-rpath,/usr/X11R6/lib
 > -Wl,-soname,libXau.so.6 AuDispose.o AuFileName.o AuGetAddr.o AuGetBest.o
 > AuLock.o AuRead.o AuUnlock.o AuWrite.o
 > + rm -f libXau.so.6
 > + ln -s libXau.so.6.0 libXau.so.6
 > + rm -f ../../exports/lib/libXau.so.6
 > + cd ../../exports/lib
 > /bin/sh: cd: /home/fliu/src/x/xc/exports/lib - No such file or directory
 >
 > apparently nobody created the directory ../../exports/lib
 >
 > I am wondering why I didn't get this error for building other
 > shared libs such as those default libs that have shared enabled?
 >
 > Any ideas?

Looks like a bug in many *lib.rules configuration files. The
LinkBuildSonameLibrary() macro doesn't build the export/lib directory
first. (The LinkBuildLibrary() macro used by non-shared libs does).

It currently works with other shared libraries because the 1st built
library is precisely libXau and its normally built non-shared only, so
its build rule will indeed create the export/lib directory.

If the 1st built library is shared and since the shared target appears
1st in Library.tmpl,  the directory isn't created.

This should be fixed.

                                        Matthieu