Hey,

Is anyone aware of a project to allow a userland tool, such as a front-end GUI, communicate with an X input driver?

This is what I want to do, and yeah, there is a bit of overlap
Zephaniah Hull's evdev: there are several parameters to my Aiptek tablet driver which should be modifiable once X is running. Among those are active area settings, mouse/stylus button transposal settings and the like. I'd like for it to be bidirectional, insofar as it needs to report it's settings as well as configure itself.

To do this properly entails implementing a callback method in the drivers (e.g., it's not for input events but rather for configuration), and something at a higher level that listens to a socket, named pipe, jms, smtp, m-o-u-s-e and can route/dispatch messages to the appropriate driver.

Where evdev comes in (I think) is that it establishes a channel of communications to pass along hardware insertion/removal events generated by hotplug. So there's some infrastructure there already: the question is whether leveraging off of that is a good way to go...

Any "guilty heads" out there?

-- ____ .:. ____ Bryan W. Headley - [EMAIL PROTECTED]