On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 04:28:46PM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
> Sven Luther writes:
>  > On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 11:58:03AM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
>  > > Sven Luther writes:
>  > >  > Hello, ...
>  > >  >
>  > >  > I have been trying to build the driver SDK thingy on both 4.3.0 and
>  > >  > head, and it seems to be somewhat broken. In particular there are some
>  > >  > missing files, which altough needed, are not part of the SDK, like the
>  > >  > render includes for example.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > So, i looked at the whole stuff, and have been trying to fix this, but
>  > >  > encountered that many driver missed declaring some of their file, which
>  > >  > is a pain.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Since the driver SDK is aimed mostly at building drivers, maybe listing
>  > >  > all files as being part of the SDK in the Imakefile is not the most
>  > >  > appropriate way of doing this, since mostly _all_ the files of the
>  > >  > driver directory are really needed, and in fact my aim is to not use the
>  > >  > drivers from the sdk, but the ones from the driver module just announced
>  > >  > by Alan.
>  > >
>  > > I'm currently exploring a toatlly new SDK which takes advantage of
>  > > driver modules. It doesn't even attempt to add drivers to the SDK,
>  > > but it expects them to be dropped in from a separate tarball.
>  >
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > I expect to be looking at the SDK stuff again nextly, and would like to
>  > know if you did advance some with this code since you wrote this ?
>
> No, unfortunately not. I've just returned from vacation and didn't
> have time to look at it any more.
> The next two weeks are pretty occupied with other things, too.

No problem, i have been busy with other things too, and my motherboard
died on saturday, so i could not do much work this WE.

>  > Also, would your new SDK still use a fixed path or should it be possible
>  > to install it anywhere ?
>  >

> Fixed path? I have not looked at the old SDK, but my plan is to
> have it like the build tree so you should be able to put it anywhere.

Well, once you build and install the SDK, the PROJECTROOT gets expanded
in the Imakefiles/Makefiles, and it has problem during the build phase
if you moved it, since it tries to erase files in the old location, for
which it may not have the rights. I was able to override this behavior
by calling make wile overriding one of the make variables, i forgot
which one right now, but i think it was something like USRINCDIR or
something such.

Ideally it would be easy to build in any place, possibly not as root,
and then to be able to install as root, and with the install path
accepting the $(DESTDIR) prefix, so the drivers can be installed into a
package.

Friendly,

Sven Luther