Hi,

We have been working on DRT, a design recovery tool
for X apps.

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~drt
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~drt/screenshot

We would like to build a new version DRT II which supports
a much wider range of X apps, including real-time arcade games
and flight simulators.

You can find a proposal here:

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~cs3141/proposal.pdf

In DRT II, we will need to capture a video of the X app while it is running.
Basically, we will describe interesting "events" by video snippets
showing what heppened during that event.

Real-time video capture doesn't appear possible using software only
methods with today's hardware.

So it seems perhaps we could record all the X requests and replay them
back slowly enough to construct a video.  Is that the easiest way
to replay the app execution from time [t1,t2] (without showing anything before
time t1)?

It seems that replaying X input events is not enough since the app may
update the display at regular intervals using a timer-based system unrelated
to X.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Amir