On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Egbert Eich wrote:

> This is a matter that maybe should also be discussed on 'forum'.
> I don't know how to initiate a joint discussion on both lists.
> There is a comment on  Roland Mainz's changes to make BIGREQUEST size
> tunable.
> Further comments are welcome.

> Egbert.

> =================== comment by Juliusz Chroboczek ========================

> Roland,

> The below is not an objection to your change, just an explanation.

> XFree86 does not reschedule clients within requests; all rescheduling happens at
> a request boundary.  Thus, with very large requests it is possible for a client
> to lock-out other clients for noticeable amounts of time.

> The situation is even worse on the SI, where scheduling is done by counting
> requests (rather than measuring time, as is done on XFree86).  There, using big
> requests can impact the server's fairness in a big way.

> If Mozilla needs big requests to function with half-decent performance, then
> Mozilla is broken and should be fixed.  Including work-arounds in XFree86 is
> counter-productive in the long term.

> I would like to suggest that you should file a bug with Mozilla.

I personally don't have any objection to this change.  Requests that tie
up the server for an inordinate amount of time should be dealt with in a
more generic fashion, IMO.  And, perhaps, including this change would up
the pressure to deal with the more generic problem.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |