I've been spending some time getting the extra keys on my notebook to
generate the same keycodes in X on 2.6 as they did on 2.4.

I've determined exactly which entries in the atkbd_set2_keycode[]
array in 2.6's atkbd.c correspond to the keys in question.  Now I
need to figure out what values to put there.

As per xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common/atKeynames.h:

/*
 * Fake 'scancodes' in the following ranges are generated for 2-byte
 * codes not handled elsewhere.  These correspond to most extended keys
 * on so-called "Internet" keyboards:
 *
 *      0x79-0x93
 *      0x96-0xa1
 *      0xa3-0xac
 *      0xb1-0xb4
 *      0xba-0xbd
 *      0xc2
 *      0xcc-0xd2
 *      0xd6-0xf7
 */

What I cannot find is *where* those fake scancodes are generated and
how they are mapped to 0x81-0x84....

Most of the keys are:

         keycode = atkbd_set2_keycode[foo] + 8

but that does not work for the 'fake scancodes'.

-JimC

P.S.  I currently use:

        Option       "XkbModel" "pc105"

but AFAICT the only way to turn on a named section in
xkb/symbols/inet is to use

        Option       "XkbModel" "named_option"

How do I get both us(pc105) and inet(inspiron)?