Hi,

I'm subscribed to the list now, so need to CC anymore.

Egbert Eich schrieb:
> This could easily be integrated in the driver (it would be much more
> easy to do than writing a separate program) but like you say in your
> disclaimer: we cannot guarantee that nothing bad happens. Therefore
> I don't think it is the way to go.

Well, of course it has to be thoroughly tested but I don't think what my
program does is riskier than the stuff other drivers based on
reverse-engineering do.
A safer method might be to keep a list of known BIOSes and the location
to patch instead of calculating that location based on a string with a
fixed offset.

> However what I find more interesting is that you updated the BIOS with
> one form the Intel web site.

Sorry, perhaps my initial message was somewhat unclear in that point. I
didn't update the BIOS (that's really risky since the BIOS needs to be
configured for a the given hardware, one configuration bit set wrong and
your system might not be able to boot anymore). I just disassembled it
and found that the code responsible for the issue is the same and that
my method to calculate the address to patch works, too.

CU Christian
--
Christian Zietz  -  CHZ-Soft  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW: http://chzsoft.com.ar/ - Fido: Christian [EMAIL PROTECTED]:2437/74.9