you can do this via several methods. XSendEvent is the simplest, but is
problematic since you would have to choose the window to send the events
to and clients can ignore the events. the proper way to do this is with
the XTEST extension which was introduced just for this purpose.
'xautomation' is a tool which gives you a command line interface to this
extension and is very handy and can be used to do things like simulate
paste for apps which don't support pasting nativly.
        John