----- Original Message -----
From: "Michel Dänzer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Simon Urbanek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Benjamin Herrenschmidt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2003 8:20 AM
Subject: Re: Radeon 9000 If (RV250), Mac G4 (Wintunnel) problems withXFree86

> On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 02:24, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> > > I suspected that as well. If current CVS still doesn't work (works
> > > perfectly here with an external CRT on an M9 in a TiBook IV), please
> > > try this patch and post the RADEONInitCommonRegisters output.
> >
> > Thanks for the info. I was out of town so I couldn't test it until now.
> >
> > I built X from the current CVS just a few hours ago with the following
> > results:
> >
> > 1) If I enable FBDev, then I get a nice picture on the TMDS screen,
> > correct colors and nice 24 bit color depth. I also get a white screen
> > on the ADC (VGA) screen.
>
> Well, as I said before, the behaviour of the second head is basically
> undefined in this case. It's not a supported configuration.
>

> > 2) If I disable FBDev, then the results are exactly same as the version
> > of X I used when first reporting this problem: signal is only on the
> > DVI screen (ADC is blanked), the colors are broken in that weird manner
> > (half-split color bits). Getting back to the console is impossible
> > since both screens get blanked once you try that.
> >
> > I used your patch, but the info doesn't seem very helpful (btw the
> > behavior was the same with/without the patch). I have attached logs
> > from both runs.
>
> Indeed, it's not stray surfaces getting in the way either. I suspect
> it's rather a CRTC/DAC/whatnot setup problem. Hui Yu is the man to talk
> to. :)

With the latest CVS code, you can try to use Option MonitorLayout "TMDS,
CRT" (note TMDS first) and Option NoDDC. You'll also need to specify their
sync ranges correctly as NoDDC is used.

All new radeon chips have two DACs and one TMDS transmitter (a 2nd external
TMDS can be added), but how these are mapped to the output connectors
depends on the taste of individual OEM. For all PC cards, the connector
information can be collected from video BIOS and the driver uses this info
to setup DAC and TMDS accordingly. In this case, with no BIOS information
available, although the driver detected two monitors correctly, the order is
wrong (this card uses DDC_DVI channel for CRT and DDC_VGA channel for TMDS).
A possible solution, when video BIOS is not available, is to add a register
probing routine for the correct DAC/TMDS settings. Hopefully someone with a
Mac machine can do this.

As for the wrong color, there may also be some endian problem. But I'm not
sure where is the problem as I haven't tried a Mac.

Regards,
Hui