Hi,

We are currently developping X access to braille devices thanks to
gnopernicus connected to the standard text console reader brltty,
through BrlAPI. But for this to work (avoid conflicts with text console
reading), we need to know on which VT the X server is running.

Currently, there is no way to get this information from the server: X11
protocol doesn't have any native request for this. Parsing the logfile
like this:

CONTROLVT="$(grep "using VT number" "/var/log/XFree86.$(echo "$DISPLAY" | sed -e
"s/^.*::*\([0-9]*\).*$/\1/").log" | sed -e "s/^.*using VT number \([0-9]*\).*$/\1/")"
export CONTROLVT

in the .xinitrc/.xsession is quite reliable, but a bit hairy... Dave
proposed that it be recorded as a property, which is quite fine to my
mind. Could this be done before 4.3.0 ?

Just a reminder: the VT number is got from the os dependant part, for
instance lnx_init.c:90, which stores it in xf86Info.vtno. It is printed
in the log file (which is parsed in the ugly line above), and then never
used again. I've just checked in the latest cvs revision with grep
xf86InfoRec[^.] (and vtno, of course), only references to the
Documentation or the definition itself could be found, so
xf86InfoRec.vtno is really not given to anybody.

Regards,
Samuel Thibault