On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, [gb2312] "Tao, Qian (՝ IES)" wrote:

>Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:54:24 +0800
>From: "[gb2312] \"Tao, Qian (՝ IES)\"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: pls give me some docs
>
>I want to know how to write a linux driver for a graphic
>card(like radeon,nvidia). I searched for a while,but there is
>too little about the control flow and architect of a graphic
>card's driver.

The docs that are available are included with XFree86 source
code.  The best docs are the source itself (aside from the DESIGN
doc and XAA-HOWTO et al.).

The technical specifications for Nvidia hardware are not
available to the general public at all, not even under NDA.

The technical specifications for most ATI video hardware are
available only under NDA to those who are employed to work
directly on XFree86 video driver work, and a small number of
other people, such as some of the DRI project members et al.

If you're just starting out working on video drivers, you'll
basically have to select hardware to which the specs are
publically available to everyone, such as 3Dfx Voodoo 3, Banshee,
Cyrix MediaGX, some older Intel boards, etc.

Video hardware vendors generally speaking do not allow public
non-NDA access to video hardware documentation.

--
Mike A. Harris