Alex Deucher wrote:

Next, mergedfb...

I've been thinking about creating generic xfree support functions to
replace the chipset specific ones for mergedfb.  This would make it
easier to add mergedfb to other chipsets that support dualhead.  Where
should this live?  also, as far as pseudo-xinerama, should that be made
part of the generic mergedfb code or part of xinerama proper?  i.e., to
extend xinerama to handle both multi-card and single card xinerama.  Or
is all of this going to be refactored in xfree 5?

IMHO, pseudo-Xinerama as we have it today is far from being perfect, partly because MergedFB mode does not fit into the Xinerama idea of two fixed-sized screens (RandR ignored here) with a fixed boundary between them.

I'd prefer extending Xinerama for MergedFB specifics instead, and removing that pseudo-stuff in the long term.

However, this would require some enhancements for the Xinerama extension (signals to clients, etc). That is, if at all, XF5 material, I guess.

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria